Sad.

I got a text right in the middle of church yesterday from one of my partners.

It seems that a fairly unhealthy patient that I had admitted last week and cared for for a few days had been discharged home and then a day or two later had actually committed suicide and died. I tried to remember him; I care for so many patients each week it's hard to remember everyone. But I do remember him - a nice enough guy with a bad heart who came to our ER straight from being discharged from another hospital about an hour away. I suspect that I asked him about being depressed lately. It's a question that is nearly always part of the quick review of systems that I do when I'm admitting patients. What did he say, I wonder? Did I start any medicines for depression? I don't remember that. Maybe next week when i'm working again I can look up what I wrote in my admission note. Suicide is such a tragedy. I remember this man's daughter who was with him in the hospital. She seemed great - very happy to help care for him and appropriately concerned. I am sad for her today, for the shock she must be experiencing. Did I do enough to prevent this? Could I have done more?

The sermon today was excellent - a message from Romans 3. A hopeful message to hear in light of this sad news. I do not know this man's heart. But I do know that God has made it possible for us all to have his righteousness through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

Thank you, Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.