Ten years ago.

Ten years ago I was a senior in college, enjoying a snooze-in since my first class didn't start until 11. I woke up to the sound of my roommate yelling something at the TV. I got up to see the towers burning and watched in horror as they fell.

Today, oddly enough, I was actually in almost the exact same physical spot as I was ten years ago. I'm back in the town where I went to college taking a class for a few days. During my lunch break I wanted to go and sit somewhere to enjoy the nice weather, so I picked up some take out sushi from a grocery store and went to oldest part of USC's campus. As I was sitting there, I realized what day it was and found it very odd that even though I have only been back to campus once or twice since I left, here I was, sitting a mere 100 feet from the apartment where I was that awful day.

I actually ended up skipping my first class that day. I just felt so unsettled that I didn't want to go, and the upper level advanced Spanish literature class wasn't really my favorite anyway. That semester I was also taking an elective class that involved reading African American literature and learning to play the harmonica. All I remember is going to that class, talking about what happened, and playing "Amazing Grace" together as a class. Our professor, a decided atheist, inexplicably loved that song, and that was how he wanted to process.

Thinking back on it, I cannot think of a better reminder of God's goodness in the midst of uncertainty.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag