Recommendations.

Although I managed to do very little during my week of vacation, I did several things that I thoroughly enjoyed and thought I should share with you.

1. Even though I spent a year studying at seminary, I only took one elective on church history, and all we studied was the reformation in France and the French Huguenots. While this was a very interesting topic, the last several months I have been thinking about how little I know about church history. I decided I wanted to find something to read to learn more about it. Lucky for me, I am married to a pastor with an extensive library, and found that he actually had a book on his shelf called Church History in Plain Language. It sounded perfect, and certainly seemed preferable to the 8 or 9 volume series that was another option on his shelf. I found the book to be exactly what its title described - a great overview of church history, written in an extremely down-to-earth, and non-technical way.  If you find yourself wanting to know more about church history, this would be a great place to start. It was also highly readable, interesting, and seemed to be very fair and balanced in its descriptions of the various characters involved.

2. We also spent several evening playing the most fun game I have played in a while. Ticket to Ride is a great game that is made by the same company that created Settlers of Catan. The object is to earn points by building cross-country train routes. It is simple enough that a fairly young child could enjoy it, but also can involve a lot of strategy which means it doesn't really get old. And the game last only 30-60 minutes, so it doesn't drag on and on. I hear there is a Europe version which is even more fun. I am definitely adding this to my wish list.

Comments

Jason B said…
We love Ticket To Ride :-) Let us know if you need some competition sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.