Fish Tacos work for me.

Of all the tasty dinners I like to make, I think my favorite is probably fish tacos. We had it on Saturday for dinner, just before my ER shift, and I've eaten the leftovers every day since then. Since I feel this might be my personal culinary masterpiece, I thought I'd share the "recipe" here.

First of all, I make a homemade salsa with fruit. This time it was mango and pineapple, along with the usual tomatoes, peppers, onions, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, and fresh cilantro (out of our garden). I used maybe 3 tomatoes, 1 pepper, 1 onion, and 1 jalapeno.

For the fish, I use these frozen tilapia filets, (which thaw really fast) put them in a baking dish with some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and more fresh cilantro. I bake it at 400F for about 10-15 mins.

I also like to make guacamole to have with it. (Of course this time, Jeff made the guacamole, because he's good like that.) I mash 2 avocados, 2 cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, a pinch of chili powder, a tablespoon of lime juice, and of course, a little more fresh cilantro.

For a sauce, I take light ranch dressing, and some chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. Depending on the amount I want to make, I chop 1/2 to a whole pepper in small pieces, and mix this into the dressing, along with some of the adobo sauce. You definitely should taste this because those are hot little boogers and you may need to add more dressing if it's too spicy. (Incidentally, this makes an excellent salad dressing if you want a little more bite in your salad.)

To assemble, I like to smear the guacamole on the tortilla, add the fish, then top with cabbage, the salsa, and finally a drizzle of the dressing. I usually use spinach because that is what I almost always have lying around the house, but I happened to have some cabbage this time. I must admit that the cabbage provides a very nice crunch and makes for a more interesting texture, so I'll probably keep making it this way.

What I love about this dish is that it's super healthy, (especially when you serve it with my favorite tortillas), super tasty, and very fast. The longest step is chopping the veggies and fruit for the salsa , but that maybe takes 10-15 minutes, which is about how long it takes to cook the fish.

Tasty, healthy, and quick?? That definitely works for me.

Comments

Elizabeth said…
These sound really, really good. I just discovered fish tacos at a restaurant recently, but they are catfish (yuck). I love tilapia anyway, so I am definitely trying your recipe!
My mouth is watering...

Your homemade fruit salsa sounds awesome!

I find that in my household, we use up tortillas like convenience food...lol. You can make quesadillas, fajitas, burritos, etc and it all goes together quickly. I love fish tacos..and so does my hubby!
Anonymous said…
I LOVE fish tacos! I like the way you served them with the guacamole and the ranch sauce. I'll definitly try this next time!

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag