Meditation

I've been thinking about these following verses a lot lately, ever since Jeff read them to me the other day. In the midst of everything that has gone lately, I have just found this passage to be incredibly encouraging.

From Hebrews 12, starting in verse 4:

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
nor be weary when reproved by him.
6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives.”

7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

12 Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, 13 and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. 14 Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled...."

I certainly think that weariness has characterized a lot of what I have been feeling lately. Even before the miscarriage, with our struggles with infertility and Jeff's issues with licensure, I was just feeling tired. Tired of the disappointment. Tired of the frustration. Tired of feeling like nothing was going right. And for what purpose? That was the question I was asking myself inside. This week I've been reminded, especially in light of the cross, that there is a purpose in all of it. And a beautiful one at that. We do not suffer for nothing. I'm not really sure how non-believers do it. How can they continue through all the pain and sadness, knowing that at the end they can look forward to... more pain? more frustration? more....nothing?

And now, in the midst of it all, what do I have to look forward to?

Lame joints healed. The peaceful fruit of righteousness. Being a new creation.

Now that has the power to lift my drooping hands and strengthen my weak knees.

Alleluia.

Comments

Alecia W. said…
Just what I needed to hear this morning. Thank you, Aubrey. And, mostly, thank you, sweet Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag