good breakfast, psychiatry, and other info

Sorry for the paucity of posts lately. Our computer is not working and currently is being evaluated by a friend who hopefully will be able to fix it.

Most of you probably already have this recipe, but just in case anyone doesn't, I wanted to share my and Jeff's favorite breakfast recipe, the way I make it.

Excellent Baked Oatmeal
1/2 c. soft butter
1/2 c. soft margarine
2 eggs
1 c. brown sugar
1 t. salt
3 t. baking powder
3 c. oatmeal
1 c. milk
Cinnamon

Cream butter, sugar, eggs, salt and baking powder. Then add oatmeal and milk. Put in greased pan (either 9X13 or large oval), sprinkle generously with cinnamon, and bake for 20 minutes at 350. I like to use a mix of butter and margarine because I like the texture best that way, but you could use either all butter or all margarine. Lately, I have started to add some things to it when I bake it. Raisins are great, but what made my most recent baked oatmeal especially good was thinly sliced pears stuck down into the oatmeal before baking it. The baked pears add a nice amount of sweetness and are delicious with the oatmeal. Baked oatmeal reheats well and is a good breakfast because it will stick with you all morning.

So I just started my new rotation. Psychiatry so far has been quite interesting. I have some great and very interesting patients. My favorite patient is this sweet lady who has multiple medical problems and some psychotic symptoms from them. Most of her delusions, though, revolve around religion. She always says she is saved and often "signs" to God. She has recently had a rather sad life. Unfortunately, she had lice when she was admitted and recently has had to stay in a room by herself to prevent others from getting the lice. As a medical student, it is rather rare that I personally am actually able to do something that helps someone. Speaking with her while she was in seclusion, it became obvious that she was not doing well with the lack of stimulation. So I asked around and found a radio to put in the room with her. She has been significantly happier listening to Christian music and sermons all day, talking about praising the Lord. She has been calmer and her psychiatric symptoms haven't been quite as bad. Finally, something I did as a medical professional made a difference in someone's life. It is a nice feeling.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You know, Aubrey, I'm quite sure many other things you have done as a student have made a difference. You just don't know about them, but God does!!

One of your biggest cheerleaders.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag