Smoothies.

I have been on this crazy smoothie kick lately. I'm not sure why, but I've frequently been replacing either breakfast or lunch with a smoothie. I feel like I've learned a lot about what makes a smoothie good. Here are my tips.

1. You need some kind of juice. Not a lot, necessarily, but if you don't use something juicy the smoothie will be too thick to drink through a straw. I often cut up a grapefruit and then squeeze all the juice out.

2. I don't like all my fruit frozen. I know some people will probably disagree, but I always microwave the frozen berries so they are not so hard and frozen. Again, this leads to a juicier drink.

3. Greek yogurt is a great addition. Aldi almost always has Fage 0% plain Greek yogurt right now, and I like to add maybe 2 T. to my fruit mixture.

4. Spinach! I'm serious. Spinach is so healthy and you really can't taste it at all. I almost always add about 1 c. That much spinach has about a quarter of your daily needs for folic acid and vitamin c. I will admit that adding spinach nearly always make the smoothie an interesting and slightly less desirable color, but I love all the extra nutrition it gives me.

5. My favorite smoothies have all contained grapefruit. (Apparently I've been on a grapefruit kick in addition to my smoothie kick.) I cut off the peel, then cut the slices into my cup. It really makes a great base for a smoothie. My current favorite recipe is 1 grapefruit, cut into slices, 2 c. frozen (and slightly thawed blueberries), 2 T. yogurt, 1 T. honey, and 1 cup or so of spinach. Because grapefruit is so tart, I think it is much better to add a little sweetness. I did something similar with an orange recently, and also like that, although I didn't add any honey.

Anyone else have any good smoothie recipes?

Comments

AngieD said…
I must agree with the fresh fruit vs. frozen fruit debate. Too much frozen fruit in one smoothie makes my immersion blender freeze up a little. So I'm with you on this.

Also, I agree with your spinach additions -- and I really don't like green things in my smoothies, but this is a winner! I find that most traces of leafy greens can be easily masked with a few teaspoons of Ovaltine thrown in. Chocolate covers a lot of things. Like fat cells. But I digress.... :)

My current favorite smoothie recipe is vanilla yogurt, milk, ANY fruit we have laying around (esp bananas), a few leaves of greenery, and a few teaspoons (tablespoons??) of Ovaltine. It's pretty simple. Grapefruit sounds very intriguing. Good tips! Thanks!

*Sorry this is so eternally long!

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.