Seven Quick Takes

This has not been a good week. Next week is currently not looking very promising, either. Even though I have always considered myself an optimist, sometimes I get very negative about things. Too negative. So, in light of that, I'm doing the last six of these quick takes as things to be thankful for, to remember God's goodness even when I'm sad.

1. After the new year started, I decided I needed to eat better. Residency is not exactly the best place to be healthy since we are often surrounded with food that is not so good for you, plus being on call every fourth night kind of messes up the eating schedule. I had already been bringing my lunch for a while, but decided to make sure these were healthier, and realized that I didn't really need quite so many sweets. The result? I'm down 10 pounds! And I'm feeling better-- so it's a double bonus.

2. I have gotten to sleep in until 7:30 for the last two days, go running before work (yesterday), and make it to a women's bible study at church that I never go to since I'm always working (today). I even squeezed in a swim this morning.

3. Spring is here! I love seeing all the daffodils - and we even were surprised with a hyacinth bloom in our yard, where we planted it last year - one I had totally forgotten about. Spring in SC is so beautiful - the sky is blue, the sun shines, and the air is not yet humid. We've had great spring weather over the last few days.

4. Monday night, when I was post-call, Jeff and I actually went out. On a date. And watched a great movie at the theater (!!). (I know it's rated R, but I definitely recommend Slumdog Millionaire - it has several violent scenes and some cursing, but little else as far as objectionable content.)

5. Yesterday was match day! We found out we have a great group of 10 excellent interns who will be coming here next year - which means I'm almost (gulp) a third year resident. God was good to us with our match this year and I look forward to getting to work with these 10 people.

6. I'm off this weekend! No moonlighting, no call, no responsibilities. And my Aunt Ruth Ellen is in town, so we're hoping to meet her for dinner tonight.

7. My rotation this month is behavioral science, which means I work with our psychologist who helps diagnose and differentiate mental illnesses, dementia, and help diagnose children with ADHD and distinguish that from other problems like learning disabilities or autism. I'm learning a lot - but it has made me so thankful for the wonderful family that I have. It is exceedingly obvious that a lot of the behavioral issues that kids deal with is directly related to poor family life. I know this is not always true, but a lot of the kids we've seen so far have very dysfunctional home lives. I'm very thankful that both Jeff and I were blessed with parents who loved us, disciplined us, and didn't just cart us off to live with random family members to suit their needs, though I'm sure they occasionally may have felt like it.

And I'll wrap up this month with one of my favorite hymns, because sometimes I just need a little poetry to soothe my troubled soul:

Whate’er my God ordains is right,
Holy His will abideth.
I will be still whate’er He does,
And follow where He guideth.
He is my God,
Though dark my road.
He holds me that I shall not fall
Wherefore to Him I leave it all

For more quick takes, go here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag