Better Banana Bread

I experimented today with my favorite banana bread recipe and loved the results. And since it was such a simple change that gave lots of flavor, I thought I'd share it here. My favorite recipe is courtesy of my SIL, Melanie, who gave me one of my favorite wedding/shower gifts we got - a personalized cookbook with all my favorite recipes in it that Melanie or other people in my family make.

To kick it up a notch, instead of using regular melted butter, I used brown butter. I'm just now coming to realize that brown butter is way better than regular butter. It adds a deeper, nuttier flavor that is subtle, but really can make a dish stand out. To brown butter, just melt it over medium heat, then let is continue to cook until the solids turn brown. That's it. It doesn't take that much longer than melting the butter, but adds an exceedingly nice flavor. And brown butter is not just for sweet dishes. My current favorite pasta sauce is just brown butter and sage. But that's a post for another day.

So here is the recipe:
3 large ripe bananas
1 c. sugar
1 egg.
4 T. brown butter
1.5 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla (another addition I made, but vanilla makes everything better)

Bake at 350 for about 1 hour (for a 9X5 loaf) or 30-40 min (for muffins.)

Enjoy!

Comments

REO in CA said…
Learn something everyday. I thought I had burned my butter!
MamaBear said…
Do you put any nuts in this?

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.