Sesquipedaliosity

A Sesquipedalian, appropriately enough, is a person who likes big words. While I have sesquipedalic tendencies (new band name?) I don't use big words as much as some people I know. Lately I've found myself learning lots of new words, which I will share for your edification.

Excorcitation - apparently a blend of "exhortation" and "excercise." Which fits, because this particular excorcitation was a real mental workout to get through.

Hebdomadal - occuring once every seven days. "I go to a church which meets hebdomadally."

Limn - to portray using words. "I am attempting to limn my thoughts in this post."

Agglomeration - a jumbled cluster. "I am limning an agglomeration of words."

Trope - a rhetorical device of using words in a non-literal sense.

Aporias - expression of doubt. "My aporias over correct word usage is troubling."

Somnolent - sleepy. "Is this post making you somnolent?"

Obdurate - stubborn. "I am obdurately somnolent."

Florilegium - a collection of literary pieces.

Almost all of these new words were from one book I was assigned to read for class, which was clearly above my reading level.

Comments

Austin said…
mine also.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.