Residency

I'm discovering that yes, indeed, residency is lots of work. I was on call on Friday and Sunday this week, meaning that I was in the hospital from Friday morning until mid-morning Saturday, then I got to come back before 6 am on Sunday and stay until 1:30pm on Monday. Hopefully you can understand why I didn't get much posting done. Sadly, this is one of the easiest rotations, so I know it will only be worse next month when I'm on internal medicine wards. But I did realize some important things this weekend:

1. Circumcisions are almost idiot-proof to perform. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this seeing as they have been performed for thousands of years, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and fun they are to do. (Obviously I'm in the right profession.) I think the biggest reason they are so easy to do is because we use an instrument called a Mogan clamp, which really makes it almost impossible to screw up. If for some reason you'd like to do these at your house, you can apparently find these on Ebay.

2. Being on call makes you feel like a zombie who is drugged. At least that's what I feel like. I'm holding out hope that maybe after few months of doing it, my body will adjust. Somehow I doubt it.

3. I love newborn babies. This weekend I got to examine tons of little ones fresh out of the oven. It was awesome.

Comments

Amy said…
Your body will get used to the hours. I never thought that I'd be able to keep up opening at Starbucks and now it's almost easier!

Good luck. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.