Surprised.

Just when I think I grasp a little of what to expect from the human body, patients come along and totally surprise me.

Tonight, I delivered a sweet little boy - not too surprising. His mom, though, had to be induced because of pre-eclampsia, a dangerous condition in pregnancy that can result in seizures, stroke, and even death to mom, and numerous complications in the child. We made the decision to induce after a lot of deliberation this afternoon - she was only 35 weeks along, but seemed to be worsening, and we felt the risks of keeping mom pregnant outweighed the risks of preterm delivery. I started her induction this afternoon by placing a medication in her cervix to make it softer, so hopefully tonight I could start a second medication to open it.

As I placed the medicine in, I knew, I just knew without a doubt, that this induction was not going to go well. Everything from her exam indicated that we might have a difficult time getting her delivered. I had already decided that either late tonight or early tomorrow something would happen - baby wouldn't tolerate the medicine, she wouldn't change her cervix, that her pre-eclampsia would worsen further, necesitating rapid delivery, and we would have to do a c-section. I was convinced that there was almost no chance of vaginal delivery.

Around 8pm, a mere 6 hours after I put in the medication (a medicine that doesn't usually make the cervix open), I was called to evaluate the patient because she was in lots of pain and contracting every other minute. The nurse pulled out the medicine, I checked her cervix and she was 6cm dilated. The CRNA came in to give her an epidural and 15 minutes later(!) I was called back in as we were ready for delivery. 1 slow, steady push later, baby came right out and quickly let out a strong cry.

The longer I am in medicine, the more I realize that we are beautifully and wonderfully made, and that our amazing creator knows a lot more than I do about his very good creation.

Comments

Sarah said…
Hey Aubrey! Wow, it's been ages! I'm so glad you saw my blog and commented! And now I see you have a blog I'll be following!

Are you really in Greenwood? My husband grew up there! I can't remember if that's where you're from originally or not?

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.