The perfect salad.

Over the years I have developed a list of what I think makes a perfect salad. For me, this is what I want my salad to have:
1. not iceberg lettuce
2. a fruit
3. a nut
4. a cheese
5. a delicious vinaigrette or other interesting dressing that is not italian or ranch

Now that I live by a Trader Joe's, I have been adding to my list. Several times I have bought their salad with roasted butternut squash and goat cheese which is absolutely perfect. In addition to the above (it is made with spinach, craisins, almonds, goat cheese, and a honey tahini dressing) is also has roasted butternut squash, quinoa, and wheat berries.

Before eating this salad, I would never have thought that roasted veggies would be such a delicious addition. And adding a grain is genius - it makes it more filling AND it's super tasty. So lately I've been making extra quinoa and barley and adding it to my lunch salad. Instead of roasted butternut squash, I've been nursing my slight obsession for roasted beets. (Who knew I'd come to love beets so much?)

So - add roasted veggies and grain to your salad. You'll thank me.

You could also make this beet salad.

Beet and barley salad

5 roasted beets (drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and roast until soft)
3 c. barley (can also be made with quinoa)
sauteed beet greens (you can also add sauteed spinach or kale)
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. goat cheese
1/2 c. chopped almonds
juice of one lemon
3 T. olive oil (could substitute balsamic dressing)
salt and pepper to taste

Can eat warm or cold!

What is your favorite salad ingredient?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag