Jazz up your oatmeal.

We eat lots of oatmeal around here. It's actually one of Judah's favorite breakfast foods, and I like that it's fast and healthy. I get tired of normal oatmeal, so have been experimenting with ways to make my morning oatmeal more interesting. Here are my favorites:

1. Before cooking the oatmeal, saute some apples in butter and then let me cook with the oatmeal.

2. Add frozen blueberries at the beginning of the cooking time. Blueberries are delicious and a super food, plus they turn the oatmeal a lovely shade of purple. Yum all around.

3. Although I almost always make oatmeal using milk instead of water, I have replaced the milk with coconut milk a few times as well. This gives it a tropical flavor, and you can also add shredded coconut to up the coconut taste even more. As a bonus, coconut is a really healthy fat, so adding the coconut milk makes the oatmeal a little more filling, in my experience. If you have coconut oil around, using this instead of butter is another way to get make it more interesting.

4. Add 1 cup of pumpkin and some cinnamon and nutmeg to the oatmeal in addition to the liquid. Pumpkin is full of fiber and vitamin A, so in addition to making your breakfast taste like fall, you are increasing the nutrition by a lot.

5. Top with granola. I know it sounds weird to top your oats with more oats, but the crunchy contrast of the granola to the mushy oatmeal is quite nice.

Anyone else have any ways they like to kick their oatmeal up a notch?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag