weekend update.

Wow. Sometimes this ole' blog just gets away from me. I write a post and then wham! it's been five days and I didn't even notice. Jeff and I had a glorious child-free evening on friday, thanks to my parents who watched Judah overnight. We went out to dinner, slept in, and even got donuts and coffee in the morning. We vacillated between missing our boy and being very, very glad to enjoy time without him. The rest of the weekend we spent in Asheville, where Jeff had a preaching gig (click here and scroll down to listen!). On the way home, we made our yearly trip to the apple orchard. That stop was an epic fail, since nearly all the apples were picked over AND our camera battery was dead. Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I wanted to go was to get a great picture of Judah picking an apple and maybe standing by the pumpkins like last year. But instead, all I could use was my iPhone. So here is the best it got:






Cute? Of course. Judah always is cute. :) It just wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I had to remind myself that Judah had a good time seeing the sheep and ducks, playing in the play house, and "riding" on the tractor even if I didn't get a beautiful photograph to document it. I sometimes forget that just because I didn't photograph it, it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I think sometimes I want my documented life - the life people see in the photos I take or the posts I write - to be more perfect than my actual life. I want for everything I do to be beautiful and I want the evidence to prove it. During Jeff's sermon this weekend, he talked a lot about idols and how to tell if something is an idol in your life. I was convicted about a number of things, and today I'm realizing this is just one more to add to the list. I cannot make Judah's life perfect. Why should I stress out to try to make it seem like I can?

And suddenly this post has become about something besides just a weekend update. Hmm. Not sure how that happened.

Anyone else struggling to let go of unreasonable or unhealthy expectations?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.