Breakfast

Aubrey and I just discovered our new favorite breakfast place. Drumroll please......

Grits & Groceries

Its awesome. We went this morning with friends Laura Lee and Marty. Its about a forty minute drive, completely in the middle of nowhere. Its about halfway between Due West and Anderson, for those of you in the know.

First of all the building. Its just a small, unassuming building on the corner of two small country roads. It has a gravel parking lot, but a front yard in front of the building. We got there around 11:30 this morning and the place was packed out. We had about a 15 minute wait. So we got some coffee which was set up out front for people waiting, and stood around the real wood fire going on the front lawn. Also we walked across the street and fed grass to the baby goats.

We started with an appetizer of small apple fritters served with a caramel dipping sauce. They were doughy little bites of deliciousness. I got "Eggs Elizabeth" for brunch proper. Elizabeth is one of the owners, apparently she used to have a restaurant in the french quarter in New Orleans, but decided to move to a rural location just before Katrina. Anyways, it was two slices of grilled "homemade" french bread, slathered with butter, topped with ham, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce. It was amazing. Aubrey and Marty both got the shrimp and grits. The grits were very good and creamy. As you would expect from a place that includes "grits" in the name. Laura Lee got french toast stuffed with some manner of fruit compote.

We were almost stymied at the end of the meal when we found out they only accept cash and checks, no plastic. None of us had brought cash. The owner gave us his address and happily offered to let us mail in a check. But we were not in a hurry so Marty and I drove back to an ATM in Due West and got some cash.

We decided that we will be returning often, and when you all come visit us, we will take you there.

Comments

Banana said…
I'm touched that you thought of me while you blogged about breakfast--it is a delicious topic, one worthy to be blogged about, and only with the most thorough, appetite-whetting description.

And I'm hungry now, so you did a great job! --Hannah
Scooper said…
I am so hungry after reading this post. I'm tempted to drive on down by myself so I can sample this place. We are breakfast fanatics so we will most definitely check it out.

Regarding your last post, I do coffee in a French press. I usually do one heaping coffee scoop per 6 oz of water. I'm also an eyeballer but this ratio usually works well. I use the same ratio if I'm making it in a pot.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag