December 9

I have been a bit unhappy with our current living situation intermittently over the last 6 months or so, for a variety of reasons. I'm not going to rehash them all now as that would defeat the purpose of this post. For whatever reason, I was feeling very dissatisfied today, to the point that I even got on a real estate website to check out local rental properties, most of which we can't really afford or are smaller than our current place.

This really only made the discontent worse. As I was again thinking about all the things I dislike about this place, I was struck by the thought that the discontent really says a lot more about me than it does about our house. Why can I not be satisfied? As much as I am tempted to think that a new house would solve all my problems, I know I would find more things to be unhappy about.

So I prayed for my heart, that I would be satisfied with what I have. And confessed my sin of coveting. And grabbed my camera and walked out my front door, where these beautiful roses line the flower bed in front of my living room windows.

A David Wilcox lyric also came to mind:
When I get lonely ah, that's only a sign
Some room is empty, and that room is there by design
If I feel hollow - that's just my proof that there's more
For me to follow - that's what the lonely is for


I can't say that these beautiful December roses took away all my frustrations, but I was reminded that I have a lot to be thankful for, and that the hollowness I sometimes feel can only be filled with more of Jesus.

I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag