"Its OK Officer, I'm dead to the Law"

I had a bit of a nasty run-in with the law today. I was happily at work this morning, when I was told that a different branch needed my help, and I was to go to the other branch for the rest of the day. I was all too happy to comply, and I hopped in my car to go. As I was getting on the interstate there was an 18-wheeler in front of me and a cop car behind me. The semi was going really slowly on the entrance ramp, and I was worried about having to merge at 15 mph. Then the cop car behind me turns on his flashing lights. Honestly, my first reaction was one of joy and relief. The cop is looking out for us, I thought, he doesn't want us to get in an accident having to merge onto the interstate at 15 mph, and he is providing a little protection for us. I wish. My happy go lucky attitude quickly faded, when a glance in the rearview mirror revealed the officer pointing vigorously at the side of the road. Perhaps he wanted me to get out of the way so he could pull the semi over for merging too slowly? No, in fact he wanted to pull me over.

I had no where to go, I was toast. There I was a sitting duck with expired tags. By the time the ugly incident was over I had recieved Four (4) traffic tickets. Each one for $232. This is not good. My rap sheet includes No proof of ownership, No registration, No proof of insurance, and finally, the wrong address on my drivers liscence. Who knew it was a crime to have the wrong address on your drivers liscence? (further investigation reveals that Aubrey knew this)

In my defense, the car is registered, and we do have insurance. Full Coverage. And as of tonight, we will have proof of these things carried in the car at all times. So now I'm set to go to court on March 1. The officer said that as long as I took care of the problems, and showed up to court he would "help me out" with the charges. Maybe when I go to court I will take the opportunity to explain that as a Christian I am not under law but under grace. Jesus pays all our debts right?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations Jeff - it seems that I no longer have the family record for the most expensive ticket - for going 32 mph in a school zone last fall - if I remember it was $280 dollars.

I have no intention of trying to get the record back. Maybe we should have a rotating trophy!

dad
Aubrey said…
Dish, no it was in the civic which Aubrey brought to the marriage, although the exact same scenario could haveplayed out in junior as well, he currently has expired tags and no proof of anything in him. I know, I know, I'm working on it.

Dad - lets not assign the trophy until after my court date, I'm hoping to get the fines reduced. with any luck I'll get it down under 280.
Anonymous said…
I think Uncle Wally would win this trophy and have it in his possession for a loooong time--if the tropy was based on total of fines to date!! We tried to add them up and didn't know how much 5 warning tickets were worth towards the trophy.
Aubrey said…
I like Connie's idea. And here I always thought Mom was the leadfoot in the family. Now I don't know where I got my driving genes from...

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The saga of our roof or Why you should never hire Ideal Development Concepts.