December 8 - baby shower

 Tonight I had the pleasure of attending a baby shower for a fellow resident and friend. (Isn't she lovely?)
We had a wonderful time talking, eating, and playing my personal favorite baby shower "game" - the "decorate a onesie" game. No melted candy bars involved. :)

On my way over to the shower, I was thinking about a blog post I once read (and I can't remember where, or I'd link to it) that was talking about how to deal with infertility in the church. I remember there was lots of good advice, but it all basically boiled down to "weep with those weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice." Which certainly sounded like good advice. It is easy to become bitter and upset when other people get the good news you've been waiting and hoping to hear, and it is always good to be reminded that the Bible calls us to something better. I would add, though, that the way that we rejoice with our rejoicing friends in the midst of heartache may not necessarily mean attending every last baby shower we are invited to. For a long time while I was struggling with infertility I felt the need to attend every shower there was, but I quickly realized that I could rejoice with a happier heart by sometimes skipping the shower and sending along a gift when the baby was born. I learned my limits and realized that while the Bible does command us to be joyful and not bitter, it doesn't say that we have to accept every invitation that comes our way.

Comments

Well said. Ashley looked like she was glowing.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway

And Then There Were Three!

The "Go" Bag